Friday 18 March 2011

Tricky words

I'm not kidding when I say Swedish place names are tricky...

We are staying by a street called Pibagsgatan (I still haven't found out what our street is called!) and the main street in Gothenburg is called the Kungsportsavenyn leading to Ostra Hamingatan. Maybe not the worst that could happen but they still confused me especially when every road sounds bizarre: Masthamnsgatan, Forstalanggatan, Gullbergsvassgatan and Ashebergsgatan being the worst enemies of predictive text.

However I did assume this was TIGER CAKE.

Also, when we went to the Cinema last night the entire film in English with Swedish subtitles (The Adjustment Bureau is not as bad as it looks in trailers. Just prepare to be freaked out by men in hats.) But me and Josh did get lost on the way to the cinema, taking a nice detour on a tram.

My favourite cider!
Probably one of the most confusing signs.
Be careful of the anti-gravity button lift?
Language Lesson

The street signs may be tricky but so far these words are my Swedish lifeline: 
Hej = Hello 
Bra = Good (hooray for boobies)
Hej da = Bye
Vodka = Vodka
Bad = Bath (not necessarily helpful but easy to remember! And is the reason why loads of car washes have the word 'BAD' outside)
Jobb = Job (my next task)
Problem = Problem
Strumpbyxor = panty hose (or the boring word being tights. This was just because I liked the Swedish Word)

Hannah is apparently a Swedish name. I will be fine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment