Wednesday 23 November 2011

Day 18: I see things...

I see them with my eyes, I see things often in disguise
KUALA LUMPUR 


Day 18: 
The Petronas Towers and me

The route to Kuala Lumpur was on a very colourful bus with snacks galore! We had: some bakery treats like croissants (I know its not Asian, sorry!) and these biscuits called Tak Sar Biscuits and some crisps called Miaow Miaow cheese crisps! Tak Sar Biscuits are like onion cakes, so crumbly it was like holding magic dust and pretty grim, but the day gets a bit weirder... when we arrived at our hostel.

We stayed at Wheelers Guesthouse, which is one of the best hostels I have stayed at! Its this really kooky hostel which is right in the heart of the markets and Chinatown. It has a rooftop bar and lots and lots of animals!! It had: turtles with snouts, big ugly fish, hundreds of goldfish, hamsters that can do back flips, hedgehogs, kittens and a mummy tabby cat and then randomly a monkey wearing boxers. It has warm showers and large enough rooms that you don't have to shuffle around. The communal areas are a massive plus too, especially when there are KITTENS playing around them. 

As we spent all day on coaches, we decided to take an evening stroll. We went to the night market and had massive noodles and I did my first bit of haggling for perfume (which later on, one of the flowers fell off the lid... mmmm the real deal). Then we took the LRT to the twin towers of Kuala Lumpur. The LRT is like a monorail/train above the city without a driver, ooo spooky! You can reach most things by LRT and the Petronas Towers are only a wee stroll from the KLCC stop. The towers are also surrounded by other really pretty lit-up buildings like the Menora tower and some coooool hanging lights (I am literally like a wide-eyed child on Christmas, I love lights!**).


By the evening we had found another Reggae bar (huzzaahh) and I had a bright blue cocktail and some more wandering. I realise now, most of our evenings ended like this. I hope we sound cooler than just a couple of tipsy people walking around strange countries getting excited about lights and towers BUT that night I had the best nights sleep evverrrr.

**When I was younger I could never fall asleep in the car as I was always looking out of the window at the lights on the motorway. That's good old electricity working its magic on keeping me awake. My parents hated this, in fact I think they are one of the reasons why motorway lights now are turned off at night. Well, its either that or my mum is the sole contributor to global warming in order to screw over electricity.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ranrah, so Day 18 saw you in KL. Did you manage to go up to the skybridge to have a bird's eye view of the city? About 500 tickets are given away everyday. They are free but the queue starts at 7am sometimes earlier and tickets finish fast.

    The hostel you stayed in sounds like fun. Gotta check that out. LOL

    Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see more of you. Will check out the rest of your holiday places. Am sure I'll enjoy reading them. Btw, you may want to read my response to your query.

    here: http://anythingbeautiful.blogspot.com/2011/11/world-meatless-day-nov-25-friday.html

    Also, like it that your blog font size is big. Nice and easy on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again! :) I did try to go up the towers but they were closed for maintence so we saw the Menora tower instead which I just posted about!

    You have to go to the hostel to see the KITTENS!!

    Please do check out the rest of my posts, I do love to talk about travelling!

    ReplyDelete