Sunday 27 November 2011

Day 19: view day


Day 19:
Being a celebrity (and a cheap one at that)

Our day started at 7am, sooo earrrly that we were on the LRT with all the commuters on their way to work. I meanwhile, had wet hair and a bag full of cheesecake and butter cake from this amazing bakery down the road to our hostel. CLASSY.

We were heading to the Petronas Towers... only to have one horrible shock. Unfortunately, the Petronas Towers were SHUT for maintenance (until 2012) which meant we decided to walk to the Menora Tower instead.

The Menora tower is not free to go up but once you have purchased a ticket you get free entry into a variety of other attractions surrounding the tower such as: the F1 simulator, small zoo on site or a ride on a tiny pony. I have heard they are all pretty rubbish. We opted for the F1 simulator but it was not a simulator at all, as it was basically like playing a computer game in a small room full of F1 memorabilia... which also whilst I was playing a woman dressed in a Ferrari jumpsuit kept steering for me when I went off-course and shut down the game before I crossed the finish line!! I was that bad. So all the extras are not really worth it. However, the actual tower is pretty incredible.

You get clear and vast views across the city and also headsets telling you about the various buildings you can see. I would recommend going early as it gets crowded pretty quickly, which I found when I got absolutely mobbed by a crowd of Chinese school children who all wanted photos of me because of my pasty skin! ha! So there may be hundreds of photos of me out there somewhere, looking very embarrassed and PALE. (I was taking photos with them for about 20 minutes) However, after the tower we sorted out our bus to the airport (bad times) and got some lunch in the markets:


I got pork and noodles (pictured) called Loo Chin Min Lee Mee something (or it was like that, I hope that does not say something different as I have no idea what it means) except after about 20 minutes of struggling to eat them with chopsticks a woman had to give me a fork. I am such an awkward tourist. We also tried a Malaysian coffee which is made with condensed milk, which is soooo delicious! We found if you go to the markets this coffee is more traditional and we drank ours whilst watching a terrified cat peeing... niiice. We also loved the mental shops that were in Kuala Lumpur, like ones selling Christmas trees (in the baking heat) and random plastic things like a panda fan, angry birds stuff everywhere and other bright and tacky things. 

We bought numerous things like a chanel bag for about £8 and two bottles of perfume for £5 each, huuraaah! Hello bargain. However, the rest of the evening it poured down with rain (which was lucky considering how sunny the day was) so we made a dash to get food (meat in a bun!!! Followed by a portion of egg fried rice with all the leftovers of the day so I got some nice pork crackling salty extras) and beer. Some market man even sang "I need a hero" at me when I ran past squealing like a little girl, drenched. We then played card games with two Aussies from our hostel. I also may have serenaded them with my take of... ITS THE FINAL COUNTDOWN DANANANA.

This is actually one of our last days, so it really is the final countdown of days booooo.


No comments:

Post a Comment