Wednesday 13 April 2011

the roots of a city


The Gothenburg City Museum

This museum covers a vast amount of history, but its done in a really beautiful way, partly because the building is so stunning. Its also got a lot about Gothenburg's history and the way its expanded over the years.

A few bits I learnt: Start off at the Vikings. 
When I hear Vikings I think of a big, blonde man with a heavy helmet on a big boat looking out to sea or just being plain grumpy. But what interested me the most was this whole section about women, who often get forgotten in the Viking history. The bit I liked most was the jewelery. When the women died they were buried with keys around their necks (see above) because apparently the bigger the key meant the bigger the chest it opened and the wealthier the person was! 


There was also a massive collection of old Victorian pieces... I love this period!

"They drink because they're poor
No, they're poor because they drink" 

There was a whole selection of paintings of Gothenburg and loads of big rooms full of old relics. Its worth checking out. 

AND I really want to ride that rocking horse

No comments:

Post a Comment