Wednesday 13 April 2011

travelling by tram


A little snapshot


After watching a weird documentary about Charlie Sheen - WINNING (I had to get this song in somehow.. possibly my motivation song right now!) - you can take a tram to anywhere in the city. I spoke to a woman who said that Sweden had just got through a tough winter and because of it there suddenly seems like hundreds of people have emerged from their houses triumphantly. The cafes have popped open lots of outdoor eating space and people are bathed in sunlight, still wearing jackets and scarfs. Also they spell bus like BUSS that second 's' should you get out of there.

One tram ride later we found my little place of heaven. A place with h&m, mcdonalds (I barely eat there but when I'm drunk its all I want), lots of people watching and a sign for a zoo that leads to a shopping center. That's false advertising. 

But why I really wanted to rant was because I think the trams here are ace and a bit of a catch up on my Swedish life. 

Today we have the funny moment where the rent on the apartment wasn't finalised and so the keys (that are like a swipe system) doesn't let us back in the building that means I have to stay in all day to let Josh back in after work! Therefore I have been a little bit like a caged animal. 

We live in this very student-y area yet everything is so sophisticated! You can book time slots for doing your washing so there isn't that awkward 'waiting at the machine reading' or even the moment you get back to empty your machine you see somebody has already done it for you and put all your clothes and UNDERWEAR all over the floor. pleasant. In my halls in university people used to put the bras of any under-suspecting late arriver hanging from the windows of the laundry room. Then there is a reception to rival a hotels and each student area is complete with clean and non-burnt pans. FYI: burning is inevitable when you cook pasta for an hour.

But Sweden has amazing hash browns and actually a lot of British TV. If you like American programmes like the OC (what is that even about?) or Project Runway... it seems that's the Swedish preference too. I watched the Bachelor for the first time the other day, whilst sipping on wine, its terrible. A hunky tanned man serial dating about 20 beautiful women. I have no idea why nobody has been seriously injured on this programme?? Surely this is a recipe for an absolute cat fight? And that man gets away with dating loads of women without calling them back.. and dating another women right in front of them?? WOW.

But the best bit about Sweden is their lifestyle... I think. I like the fact everyone is so laid back... they all seem to be in cafes until the sun sets and then its on the trams past grand statues and buildings to go dine on fresh fish with side salads. How grown up does that sound?? 

I think its not necessarily the lifestyle for me (I'm way to addicted to the student lifestyle and glasses of wine) but I marvel at leggy blondes

No comments:

Post a Comment